Original release date: September 10, 2020
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has released CISA Insights: Actions to Counter Email-Based Attacks on Elections-Related Entities in light of increased sophisticated phishing operations targeting individuals and groups involved in the upcoming U.S. elections.
CISA strongly recommends elections-related individuals and organizations to prioritize the protection of email accounts and systems.
- Use provider-offered protections, if utilizing cloud email.
- Secure user accounts on high value services.
- Implement email authentication and other best practices.
- Secure email gateway capabilities.
See the following resources for more information.
- CISA Insights: Actions to Counter Email-Based Attacks on Elections-Related Entities
- CISA Tip: Best Practices for Securing Election Systems
- CISA Tip: Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Scams
- Microsoft Blog: New cyberattacks targeting U.S. elections